FOIL provides access to public records.
The Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) provides a means for the public to access records maintained by the government. Records exempt from FOIL include those that:
- Are an invasion of a member's personal privacy;
- Are trade secrets that would, if disclosed, harm a company's competitive advantage;
- Would keep a government agency from performing its duties; and,
- Are not maintained by the agency because there is no business reason to do so.
NYSTRS' Subject Matter List provides a reference of records maintained by the System. If you wish to submit a FOIL request, be sure to clearly describe the record(s) you request, including relevant dates, names and descriptions. You may use any of the following to submit a FOIL request:
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Submit an online request; or,
- Mail your request to: NYSTRS, Attn: Records Access Officer, 10 Corporate Woods Drive, Albany, NY 12211.
For more information about the Freedom of Information Law, visit the Committee on Open Government's website.