If you're contemplating retirement when the school year ends, be sure to review the NYSTRS publication Countdown to Retirement. Topics covered include:
- How to get the best information;
- When to file your retirement application;
- What to consider if you have a beneficiary;
- The deadline for withdrawing your application or changing your retirement date; and,
- When to expect your first benefit payment.
Also see the NYSTRS Retirement Checklist, which lists the six items everyone should consider before filing for retirement. Maybe the most important takeaway from the checklist: Retiring from your employer does not automatically trigger your NYSTRS retirement benefit. You also need to file for retirement with NYSTRS.
Call us at (800) 348-7298, Ext. 6250 with any additional retirement-planning questions you may have.